Wednesday 29 September 2010

Happy "Freedom Birthday" To Me...


Tomorrow marks the 26th anniversary of what I affectionately refer to as my "Freedom Birthday" It's the day when I became a Christian in 1984. Don't cheer too soon though, as in these 26 years, I have only actually walked closely with the Lord for just under eight of them. Yes, disappointing, I know...

However, I am not disappointed, and neither is God. Actually, what I look back on as a crazy 18 years of doing my own thing, now forms the basis of my message. But, it's not just those 18 years that were crazy as the last 4 years have been too. A Keanu “Whoa!” moment here, if you please!

While I had the foundational knowledge of God, Jesus, Christianity, etc when I returned to my walk with God four years ago, I did not actually know the true mean of the freedom that faith, and more importantly trust, in God provides. There is an obvious difference between saying that you believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins (anyone can say that actually), to actually feeling it in your heart, living it and having the true freedom it provides.

I grew up adhering to the rules that are in the Bible, or more to the point trying to adhere to them but failing miserably. The notion that I was being a naughty girl by not doing as I was told led me to feel guilt and shame. I rebelled majorly when I was eighteen and I now wish, in some aspects, that I had not.

I’ve learnt over the last four years that adhering to the rules of the Bible is not what it is all about. That is legalism. That is living by the law that was set down in the Old Testament when the Israelites only had sacrifices to give. I now live by grace, which was given to all of us who accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour when the ultimate – and last - sacrifice took place. It was when God in Flesh, Jesus, died on the cross for our sins – past, present AND future.

I will not be able to live the next thirty plus years living by the law, but I know that I will be able to live by grace. The relief of knowing that God has forgiven me of my sins, loves me anyway, and wants me to share this forgiveness and love with those who do, and do not, know Him.

So…Happy Freedom Birthday to Me!

Thank you God for creating me, thank you Jesus for saving me and thank you Holy Spirit for guiding me.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Freedom Birthday to you Paula! Yes, you have been set free. I always seem to have a hard time with keeping the rules. Living from a heart of love for Jesus makes all the difference. He works in you and through you to touch others. Our job is to yield and allow Him to sit on the throne of our heart daily.

    I became a Christian at the age of seven. However, I rebelled and came back about 15 years ago. Now I know I'm living under His grace and mercy and I'm forgiven. Yay God; thank God.

    Love you,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy freedom birthday to you Paula, what a great post, yes it is only by grace. Nothing we could ever do would make us good enough even if we followed all the laws we still would not be good enough. Our minds and thoughts would let us down.
    Yes it can be hard growing up with a christian background I gave my heart to the Lord when I was 4 and also had a little rebel:)

    Happy birthday again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! Happy Freedom Day my sister from another mister!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you. I love your transperancy. I love your heart. I love that you are truly free now that you have a revalation of His grace. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise the LORD!!!

    Most of us have what I call the date we gave our lives to JESUS and then the date we actually began living in, through and for HIM so I am celebrating with you my friend for all that GOD is doing and will do in your life as you continue to live in, through and for HIM!

    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy freedom birthday, Paula! God calls us to humility, to a right understanding of who we are and what He has done for us. I love your open heart and the truth of your struggles. They are the same struggles we ALL have in trying to live out the life of Christ in these earthly bodies. Thanks for sharing the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are beautiful Paula :) I agree with Jo Princess Warrior - I love your transparency - and I love your heart for God - and doing it all with him. Be blessed beautiful :) xj

    ReplyDelete