Monday 25 January 2010

Forgiveness Leads to Acceptance...

Anger and resentment, and the inability to understand that we're all different, can lead to the inability to forgive. Not being able to step into the other person's shoes and see the situation from their perspective can really inhibit forgiveness. Even if we do not understand, we are still to forgive.

The inability to see another's life through their eyes, and not forgiving people, are two of the most brutal ways that a person can hold themselves back in life and not reach fulfilment. Humans will never agree on everything, we will all have our own opinions, and we will always misunderstand people.

Next month I start on my new word, which is "acceptance". My pastor touched on it today, and I hope I can expand on what he covered over the next month. But for now, I'll concentrate on one last post on forgiveness.

I've spent many years unable to forgive myself for the life I have led; the poor choices, the in appropriate actions, and the filth that has come from my mouth. Even over the last few years, there are a lot of things about myself and my actions that I cringe about now. But this doesn't have to be.

I have sought forgiveness from God and have received it. So thus, I do not need to carry the burden any longer. With my latest change in circumstances and the giving over of my life to God for His purpose, I feel that I finally have truly reached a place of peace within myself. God has answered my prayer, and in such a way that I feel strange as I think that I should be feeling different.

To explain it I have likened it to when you have the hiccups. You try and get rid of them but they keep coming back; but when you do successfully get rid of them, and then the 'feeling' that they will return but don't tends to surprise you. I hope that analogy makes sense. My sense of living in fear of being alone has gone and has been replaced with purpose and peace. But, every now and then I will think of something and I expect the fear to return but it doesn't, and it is taking me by surprise.

So, how does all this tie in with forgiveness? It's the realisation that God has forgiven you that leads to peace and purpose. To be open and transparent about one's weaknesses and ill-performed acts, to see forgive real about it all...that's what assists in the act of forgiveness. That's what it's all about.

I find it interesting that this month started off heading in one direction but ended in a way that I least expected. God is good, and Jesus is near; walking by my side taking the other end of yoke on His shoulders and sharing my burden, making me feel loved and very special. That is one of the reasons that I am doing better than I thought I would at this sudden change in direction in my life. The other reason is that it's the right thing to do...by me, by my daughter, and by God. It's all His doing!

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for Your presence and forgiveness over my life. Thank You for sending Jesus to take away all these sins that I have racked up. Thank You for allowing Him to walk by my side and to take on this burden. All praise and glory to You. In Jesus' Wonderful Name, Amen


3 comments:

  1. Great ending post Paula! We always need a reminder about forgiveness. It can easily become a slave for us to get trapped into unforgiveness and begrudging. Praise God HE forgave us once and for all. We simply need to accept it and allow the blessings to work in our lives. AMEN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your heart in the LORD with us Paula. I loved your prayer at the end. Love and prayers for you dear sister and your sweet little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the hiccup analogy! You are clever to come up with it. You are amazing and I know that there is nothing like the peace He gives us when we are obedient to Him. xoxo

    ReplyDelete