Saturday 23 January 2010

Just Call Me Joseph...


Yes, please do! Because I have done what Joseph did with Potiphar’s wife. I have fled from a situation that was not good. The situation was one that provided love, promise and a future. But God stepped in and opened my eyes to something new. Why did He do that? Because I asked Him to, and because, like with Joseph, when troubles arose I stayed in the presence of God, which in turn enabled God to speak to me.

Now, I’m not saying that running from a situation is the right response in all circumstances, but it was in Joseph’s case, and I truly believe that it was in mine. Joseph ended up getting caught and unjustly thrown into prison, but that was where he was able to dwell in the presence of God and he grew for God. My situation is not one where I can be caught and thrown into a physical prison like Joseph, but there is a flip side to the similarities. If I don’t dwell in the presence of the Lord and grow for Him, I AM going to be caught and held in prison. The prison that is my people pleasing and co-dependent ways; the prison I have lived in for the last twenty years.

God has been speaking a lot to me over the last 7 months about my life. On the outside I appeared to have been living the life that God wants (and I had been trying to!), but deep down on the inside, behind closed doors, I had not been living the life that I know God wants for me. And I have felt it! Man oh man, have I felt it! The emotional pain that I have endured over the last 7 months has been immense. But I have endured it as I have remained in the presence of God, despite my shortcomings and my sins.

But, a new season is upon me! A weight has been lifted and I am free to be the person that God pre-destined. Yes, this means that I have given my life over to God; He is my focus and He is who I am going to cling to as I journey with Him on this next phase. It seems that as my fortieth birthday approaches I am getting closer to arriving at my promised land and exiting the wilderness that I have aimlessly been wandering in.

Yesterday I wrote a list of what I will do from now on:

I will not settle for less than what God intends for me
I will not bend God's rules to suit my wants
I will not disrespect God's Word by picking and choosing what to follow just to make another person happy
I will learn more about God my Father
I will discover more about Jesus my Saviour
I will quieten myself to hear more from the Spirit my Comforter
I will be all that God knows me to be
I will not participate in any 'Kevin' type behaviour*

So basically I will focus on these things to keep me on the journey that I know God wants me to be on. No more bending the rules to please myself or another. No more letting my human side dictate what I should be doing with my life. No more settling for less than what I deserve!

Joseph knew that his purpose was to do God’s Will. I have spent the last twenty years doing my will, and while I have been so blessed with so many people and things, it has kept me in the wilderness. God has sustained me during this time and His presence has always been near, but I have been too busy doing my own “thang”, thinking that the way the world sees life and relationships is what will complete me! Wrong!

I now have a feeling of peace in my heart and my mind (which for me is SO important given the state of it!), and I know for certain that running from the situation that I was in, fleeing from the pain, hurt, incrimination, humiliation, and the feelings of disgust I felt for myself, and more, was what I had to do. I’m not likely to be thrown into a physical prison like Joseph, but if I don’t stick close by God I will get put into a prison of stagnation by my own doing.

Interestingly enough, I just checked my inbox while waiting for Bible Gateway to load and I read this from Joseph Prince in a devotional email:

“The Battle Is The Lord’s

2 Chronicles 20:15 “Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours, but God’s.”

When faced with a problem or challenge, we tend to ask ourselves, “What am I going to do?” And well-meaning family members and friends will come along and ask, “What are you going to do?””

How apt is that?! Amazingly apt! My battle is not mine, it is the Lord’s. The repercussions of my situation are the Lord’s. I cannot reason or rationalise about the situation, so I will leave it to the Lord to sort out. Amazing stuff!

I will end this ridiculously long post with what the benefit is to remaining in the presence of God:

“...the LORD was with Joseph and gave him success in whatever he did.” –
Genesis 39:23 (NIV)

Success...success in the Lord!

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for finally opening my eyes up to the truth. Thank You for planting Your words into my heart and bringing Your truth to fruition. I promise to remain in Your presence and to live the life that You have planned for me. In Jesus’ Wonderful Name, Amen


*My sincere apologies to anyone named Kevin, or who knows and is related to a person named Kevin. This is a light-hearted and loosely used term that will prompt me to NOT look to a man to complete me!
(Image courtesy of BIBLE ART GALLERY.)

PS: I have truly been blessed today after a tumultuous week, when even my blogging abilities were made fun of; I've received a Best Christian Blog of the Week Award by cybeRanger. What an honour! All glory to God for this one!

9 comments:

  1. I wrote about something similar for my Exemplify column in March... Willingness vs Willfulness. I live quite often in willfulness...I act like my plan is way better than His. Oh how wrong I am! :)

    I am glad you have walked through this journey....it is a hard lesson to learn but beautiful when we get it :)

    My battle is not mine, it is the Lord’s -- I so needed to read this.

    crittyjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shalom! Your blog has been awarded @
    http://bestchristianblogoftheweek.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I am humbled! All praise goes to God who enables me to share my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm emailing you now. Glad you clarified the "Kevin" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Paula, I've had to run quite a few times myself. The Lord is Sovereign over your walk and He sees your desire to please Him above all else.

    I know it is hard. I know it is not what you had planned or thought would happen -- but this life, this walk/run of obedience will yield much fruit. Just you wait and see.

    All my love,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in so much awe.... this is quite apt for me and Paul. We got a call last night and made a hurried decision. I didn't feel good about it. All day today the Holy Spirit has stirred inside me. I've read over and over things that God has been speaking to me about this decision. Your post was the last piece of confirmation to me that this decision from last night has to be reversed. Praise You Father God for answering our prayers. In Jesus' name, amen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So so proud of you Paula!
    love you,
    LC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless you for being brave enough to recognise God's voice, and then OBEY it. Not always easy to do - but I know He will reward and honour you for your obedience.

    love Janet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. "But, a new season is upon me! A weight has been lifted and I am free to be the person that God pre-destined. Yes, this means that I have given my life over to God; He is my focus and He is who I am going to cling to as I journey with Him on this next phase."

    I love what you wrote here Paula. I am so proud of you. It's really hard to be obedient. And I love the Joseph Prince devotion stating that:

    "“The Battle Is The Lord’s

    2 Chronicles 20:15 “Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours, but God’s.”

    When faced with a problem or challenge, we tend to ask ourselves, “What am I going to do?” And well-meaning family members and friends will come along and ask, “What are you going to do?””

    Succes is His. We don't have to battle at all!

    Love you my darlimg friend. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete