Friday 18 October 2013

BF2013: Intrepidity...

President Barack Obama presention Army Captain William Swenson
with the US Medal of Honour. Photo courtesy www.news.com.au.
Today I watched raw video of an American soldier saving the life of a comrade in Afghanistan. I then watched as he received his US Medal of Honour from President Barack Obama. You can see both videos here (they are worth watching, believe me!).

While the citation was read out prior to the soldier receiving his medal from the president, I kept hearing the word intrepidity being used.

I like interesting and new words, so I thought I would look it up. As you can already gather, it is from the word intrepid.

/ɪnˈtrɛp ɪd / Show Spelled [in-trep-id] Show IPA
adjective
resolutely fearless; dauntless: an intrepid explorer.

Origin:
1690–1700; < Latin
intrepidus, equivalent to in- in-3 + trepidus anxious; see trepidation

Related forms

in·tre·pid·i·ty, in·trep·id·ness, noun
in·trep·id·ly, adverb

Synonyms
brave, courageous, bold.

Antonyms
timid.

“For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty.”

This soldier was intrepid. He was fearless and brave and courageous and bold. And he kept being intrepid. He did not fail at the task at hand.

I want to be like that. I want to display intrepidity. I want to be intrepid. I don’t want to be timid or insipid or frail.

I want to be remembered for living an intrepid life, but mostly, an intrepid life for Jesus.

I know many people who are intrepid; those who live a life where nothing seems to stand in the way. I know why they are intrepid too...why they live a “resolutely fearless” life. It’s because God is at the centre of it and they know it, feel it and live it.

“Resolutely fearless”. It sounds like the title to a movie. It sounds brave, courageous and bold. It IS fearless. It is being undaunted by the world. And therein lies the key - being undaunted by the world.

Christine Caine, founder of the A21 Campaign, writes about this in her book titled “Undaunted”. She “offers life-transforming insights about how not only to overcome the challenges, wrong turns, and often painful circumstances we all experience, but also to actually grow from those experiences and be equipped and empowered to help others.” Christine does live a “resolutely fearless” life, but she has overcome a lot of hurdles to do so. And all the while, Jesus was by her side. If you get a chance, please read her book. You will be blessed and changed by it.

Where does that leave me so that I can live an intrepid life? I believe intrepidity is in relying wholly and solely on God by making Him the centre of everything and allowing Him to be your strength. Prayer, meditation, soaking in His presence and studying His Word is a good start. But it doesn’t end there as there are life changes to be made. There is simplicity to be achieved, the lures of the world have to be blocked out, and new habits must be formed.

I think I’ve happened upon the inspiration to turn my life around.

Intrepidity. Being resolutely fearless.

Try it with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment