Tuesday 23 October 2012

Some Things You Just Can't Forget...

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou

This quote explains exactly how I feel at present, how I have felt in the past, and how I will most likely feel in the future. The pain of being made to feel less than what I deserve. Whether it be from a lover, a coworker, a boss, a school student, a brother, or a friend, I've experienced the pain of being made to feel hurt and humiliated.

Now, I know I'm not alone in this, as we all experience it, and from both sides. The difficult part is what Ms Angelou concludes with:

"...people will never forget how you made them feel."

That is exactly right. And what is also right is that people deal with this differently. We are all individual and all have different coping mechanisms. Some are recommended and some are not, but at the end of the day it's up to each individual to decided how best they cope. I certainly know how I cope, and while it's perhaps not the recommended way, it's my way.

Part of the way I cope is through words, hence this post. I write. I get it out. And for me it helps as I can't have how I feel bottled up inside as it makes me emotionally, physically, and mentally ill. I can't always talk it out, and sometimes it is never talked about again. But that is how I cope.

I know I take crazy risks by being this way, but that is me. I'm stubborn, timid, vulnerable, strong, a smart mouth and a little crazy. Alternative aspects of my personality constantly playing against each other. I can live with that. God can too. And for that I am thankful.

Paula xo

No comments: