Friday 12 December 2008

Sandals and Stomping...

I've been enlightened by my lovely friend Lelia from Write From the Heart once again. This week she posted a blog titled As to Lelia...I mean the LORD! and it is a fabulous read! Pop over and have a look, and see if you come away feeling as enlightened as I did!

Ever since reading Lelia's post, and the practical way that she used Jesus as an example in regard to His sandals and stomping, I have been thinking about my own behaviour as far as shoe throwing and chucking a tantrum are concerned. Did I pass the "Jesus test"? No, I get a big, fat 'F' for FAIL!

I have a short fuse, a fast mouth and an even slower brain when the first two are put in action. I have frown lines as proof, and I also have some enemies masquerading as friends as a result. Does this make me feel like the worst person in the world? Yes, it certainly does. So, this is why Lelia's words about Jesus and how he would act have made an impact.

I don't want to have a short fuse, a fast mouth or a slow brain when I get angry. I want to be cool, calm and collected. I did a quick search on Bible Gateway on the words
'slow to anger' and nine results appeared. The words compassionate, gracious, great in power, abounding in love and more appeared alongside slow to anger. This is what our God is, and this is what Jesus is, and this is what I should be. I am not who I am supposed to be in the Lord...

But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. - Psalm 86:15

He is all of these things, and He is also forgiving. Thank YOU Lord for this reminder. I have sinned. I have acted in a way that I should not have. The Lord does not tell us to never be angry, but He does tell us that we must be SLOW TO ANGER.

I will remember these words. I will think twice before I take off my sandals and throw them (not literally though!). I will remember the example of Jesus who, like our Father, is compassionate, gracious, slow to anger, and abouding in love and faithfulness. I will be faithful to my Father and set the example of the person who He made me to be, not who I have become and dislike.

Thank You dear Lord for giving us the blessing of Lelia and her open and honest blog posts. Thank You also for your Word, which is my instruction manual on how I am to do life - the life that YOU intended me to live. In Jesus' Wonderful Name, Amen


5 comments:

  1. Hey again,

    I haven't gotten to read Lelia's blog post yet, but you made me laugh when you said you
    I have a short fuse, a fast mouth and an even slower brain when the first two are put in action, I can see we have another thing in common. Somthing God is working through me with.

    The good news is God can change that. Hope your having a good Friday it's still Thursday evening here.

    Love ya,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true for me too, Paula! That fuse gets shorter during the holiday season, it seems! I needed this reminder today when both my boys are home from school due to a snow day!! Better hop over to Lelia's and read about those sandals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate with the fast mouth and short fuse. Been there, done that, still do it at times. Hate it.

    Lelia's post was very touching.
    Love ya,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you are such a blessing!!! Thank you for sharing that and for including the verse. I will be delving into this, as I have had some prompting for some time about this issue, but you've kind of helped God slap my face with this post!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Paula for visiting my blogs. I look forward to getting to know you. You have some good stuff here as well. (=

    Many blessings,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete