Saturday 1 February 2014

February Fast 2014...


February 2014 is going to be a fasting month for me. I will be fasting from Facebook, TV and social interaction outside of work and church. These are the things that stop me from getting close and connecting to God. That needs to change. Hence my fast. It needs to happen.

I decided to look up the meaning of February and outside of it being "the second month of the year" etc, I found its origin quite interesting:

Origin: 
before 1000; Middle English; Old English Februarius < Latin Februārius (mēnsis) expiatory (month), derivative of februa (plural) expiatory offerings; see -ary

"Expiatory" is a word I've never heard before but it means to be "able to make atonement or expiation". Moving forward in the word search, I clicked on "atonement" and found the following:

1. satisfaction or reparation for a wrong or injury; amends.
2. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) Theology . the doctrine concerning the reconciliation of God and humankind, especially as accomplished through the life, suffering, and death of Christ.
3. Christian Science. the experience of humankind's unity with God exemplified by Jesus Christ.
4. Archaic. reconciliation; agreement.

Origin:
1505–15; from phrase at one in harmony +
-ment, as translation of Medieval Latin adūnāmentum; compare Middle English onement unity
 
It all makes sense and is very applicable to my February Fast. It is to make amends, to reconcile me to God, to be in agreement with His will for my life, to sacrifice the things of the world for the things of Heaven. So good. So God.
 
I am finding that living in the world is a tough gig. It's so easy to get sucked into living the lie that the devil wants me to live. The negativity, the cynicism, the gossiping, the hatred, the complaining. All things that I, as a follower of Jesus Christ, should not do. There is so much more to this life than what the world has to offer, and during February I am ready for God to show me what that is.
 
To have change, one must make a change. I'm ready. I'm set. It's a go.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment