Saturday 13 November 2010

Reclaiming My Dignity...


I’ve spent the larger part of this year working on reclaiming my dignity. Equipping myself with the tools to be able to look at myself in the mirror and like – no, love - what I see. And not just on the outside, but more importantly on the inside. Life's experiences had stripped me of the dignity that God ordained me with at birth. People, circumstances and my own self-loathing have all contributed to this. Recently, God has - because I've drawn closer to Him - made sure I reclaimed all that the locusts had taken from me; what was rightfully mine.

People in general can be odd. As I've posted previously,
I don't "do" people well, or at least I didn't. I’ve often felt intimidated by people, especially those who appeared to have more or know more than me. I've since discovered that having things is not essential; it's just a cover for trying to fill the “God hole” in a person. And as for knowing things, well I prefer to know what God wants of and for me, rather than knowing how to effectively “do this” or “do that” for the world.

Basically, God has been teaching me how to live how Jesus would. Teaching me how to not concern myself with obtaining things or attaining worldly knowledge for myself, but seeing things as essentials only, while sharing the knowledge and love I have for God with others.

In saying this, I believe it's important to not discount a person's life experience, whether it is amassing things or knowledge. We have all lived life on many and varied paths for a reason. To strip a person of their knowledge and experience, no matter what the circumstance, goes against everything that Jesus came to earth for. I believe – firmly - that everyone and I mean EV.ER.Y.ONE. must be treated with respect and dignity.

As with change, which is generally only successful if made in small stages, so is the sapping of one's dignity via people and life. A comment here, a look there, a lack of understanding on some level or the refusal to listen to the other person's opinion or point of view. These are all things that sap away at a person. I know as I've been there. Emotional abuse, ill-timed words, abusive emails, and the list could go on.

Now I'm not guilt-free in these areas. I've been able to dish out just as well as I've received. I've been naive, I've been reactive and I've been downright stupid in a lot of areas, but the blessing is that through all these things I’ve learnt some valuable and life-changing lessons. I’ve learnt basically that I am to treat others are Jesus would treat them. Regard things as Jesus would regard them. These are simple yet effective truths to live by.

This is just one of the MANY lessons I've learnt over the last year of my crazy yet exciting life. What lessons have you learnt recently that have changed your life in either a small or big way?

No comments:

Post a Comment