Monday 1 November 2010

Real Joy...


"Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwhile." - Sir Wilfred Grenfell

This quote basically sums up my life. In the forty years I have walked this earth - especially the last twenty - I have been pursuing joy in all the wrong areas! An easy life...earning more money and buying more things...to pleasing men (and women!). Has this way of living worked? Of course not! The only true source of joy comes from the Lord. But how? It comes from, as the quote says, "from doing something worthwhile."

Forget the fact that I'm a divorcee, had a child out of wedlock, have been shamed, spent too much time in pursuit of the wrong men, spent too much money on temporal things, and more! I am now a new creation in Him and my life is focussed on doing something worthwhile. Not for me, mind you, but for Him and for others.

I have made some major advances in my growth over the last few weeks. Not only have I found the root cause of my depression and anxiety, but I have reached a point of liberation and peace, started co-leading a connect group through church, and am mentoring (through friendship) other women who are where I was. And I'm also due to start a new job in the next couple of weeks, and am confidently single!

Can you say "wow?" I know I can! W.O.W!

God has been SO good to me lately, as He has always been throughout my life. I am truly grateful that He never let me out of His grasp. I am forever thankful that He knew my true potential and that because I chose to surrender to Him - to lay down my weapons and stop fighting - I am now exactly where He wants me to be!

It is a truly liberating feeling. I don't recall ever feeling like this in all my adult life. I have recollections of the feeling from when I was a child, but never as an adult. Why? It's because as an adult I tried to take control of my life based on wild and unattainable expectations placed on me by myself and society. Why do I now have this peace again? It's because (and you probably get where I'm going with this) I've chosen to trust Him as a child again and let Him lead the way.

I could write more on this but I won’t. I want to leave that for future instalments, or even a book, which is what this post will become if I don’t stop! I will leave you with three verses, however, that are in keeping with the joy, peace and liberation that I am experiencing.

And Nehemiah continued, “Go and celebrate with a feast of rich foods and sweet drinks, and share gifts of food with people who have nothing prepared. This is a sacred day before our Lord. Don’t be dejected and sad, for the joy of the Lord is your strength!” -
Nehemiah 8:10 (NLT)

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. -
John 14:27 (NIV)

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." -
Matthew 19:14 (NIV)

2 comments:

  1. Love this Paula. So lovely to read about you moving forward in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly amazing Paula! I love reading about what God is doing in your heart. I also love seeing it first hand. Such an honour to be your friend. This post screams, "FREEDOM" (Braveheart style) all over it. xo

    ReplyDelete