Sunday 31 January 2010

Our Merciful God Who Forgives...


5For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. (Psalm 86:5, King James Version)

I don't always get it right. I don't take things to God first, or at least I didn't. I do now.

I make mistakes because I'm only human. I think messed up thoughts, I speak crazy words and I do wrong things.

I live with my heart on my sleeve. I am transparent. I am quite happy to say if I am right or wrong. Humility is a learned practice and not something that this world appreciates.

I don't think I have it all together, and will never have it 'complete'. But I know who will.

God. Because He has it all under control.

I do know this though. I serve a Heavenly Father who wants me to be like His Son. Who wants me to demonstrate all the attributes of His Son who came to earth to experience all the hurt, temptations and pitfalls that the human existence offers.

I am to be understanding, forgiving, loving, merciful, gracious, compassionate, kind-hearted and pure. I never thought I could be those things, because I never thought I deserved the love that God offers that allows me to exhibit those fruits of the Spirit.

God has shown me over the last two weeks that I do deserve it. He has allowed me to experience a mixed up yet clear set of circumstances that now has me sitting here at my dining table at 9pm on a Sunday night thankful for the God that I serve. I am blessed that I have the freedom to admit when I'm right and wrong. I am thankful for friends and family who tell me when they think I am right and wrong. I am even more thankful for those who understand the very core of me and accept me for who I am and what I do.

But I am ever so thankful that God loves me, forgives me and shows me mercy because HE. IS. MERCIFUL.

Have you ever met a man, woman or child who is as merciful as God? I have, from time to time, met people who have displayed mercy, but it certainly is a trait that, like humility, is not appreciated by the world.

What do I, or you, have to gain by not showing mercy and forgiveness?

Given that we are instructed to forgive, it is only natural that this include mercy.

Some food for thought here. Some random prattling from me on my take on it all. Understand me or understand me not...God understands and He is here for me.

From today I am moving forward in a direction that I am comfortable with. God has great plans for me that include serving in the church, studying His Word on a more serious level, including Him in my everyday life and not just when it suits me, and being there for others and using my mess as a message. I am travelling with God in my heart and Jesus the Gentleman by my side.

Thank You Heavenly Father for showing me your mercy, graciousness and compassion for my failings and sins. Thank You for forgiving me and being with me - sheltering me under Your wings - during the last two weeks. I thank You for the wealth of knowledge and support that I have received. I pray that understanding abounds all around. I pray I turn to YOU first in everything I do. In Jesus' Wonderful Name, Amen.

3 comments:

  1. I especially realte to this:

    "I am to be understanding, forgiving, loving, merciful, gracious, compassionate, kind-hearted and pure. I never thought I could be those things, because I never thought I deserved the love that God offers that allows me to exhibit those fruits of the Spirit."

    Great post. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Yes, LORD! Use me for Your will! In Jesus' name, amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the LORD Paula! The LORD has great plans for you. Keep your heart in tune with HIM as you are.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete