Monday 21 May 2012

What Captivates You?

The dictionary.com meaning of captivate is:

Captivate [kap-tuh-veyt]

—verb (used with object), -vat·ed, -vat·ing.

1. to attract and hold the attention or interest of, as by beauty or excellence; enchant: Her blue eyes and red hair captivated him.

Once upon a time I only looked at beauty when captivated by a man. I never considered excellence. Over the years, and especially the last three, I have learnt the difference between the two.

Beauty primarily is about the external. Yes, a person can have a beautiful nature, etc, but the word beautiful usually pertains to the physical attributes of something or someone. Whereas I liken excellence to character. I know this to be true as I was blinded by external beauty instead of internal excellence in my previous relationship.

I put all my eggs into the beauty basket and then found out after they'd cracked that they were off. Not excellent at all.

The old saying that "beauty is only skin deep" is very true. I won't be fooled again, which is why, for the time being, I am steering clear of romantic relationships. Three strikes and I'm taking a time out.

I'm taking a time out to concentrate on the excellence of Jesus. The man who is beautiful and excellent on the outside and inside. Natural assets or offerings have nothing on supernatural character.

Paula xo

No comments:

Post a Comment