Sunday 10 January 2010

Simply Forgiveness...


I’m a bit slow in getting my 2010 Word List posts up and running, but I found some inspiration to prepare this post. My plans for my posts come from my friend Kimberly who will be posting every Monday, as will I. These weekly postings will include various meanings of the word, i.e. dictionary, lexicon, etc, verses, practical application and thoughts. This post contains some thoughts.

To err is human.
To forgive is divine.
~ Alexander Pope

Revenge is natural.
Forgiveness is supernatural.
~ Paul Carlin


These quotes befit not only the simplicity of forgiveness, but also the unnecessary complexity of it. As humans we make forgiveness complex. We hold onto grudges, we remind ourselves, and others, over and over of the wrongs they have done. We revisit the experiences like we revisit a favourite spot, thinking that it may bring us some kind of comfort and peace. But the exact opposite occurs. Revisiting the experience only dredges up the ill-feeling and pain from the past, making it impossible to move on.

This is where God’s simplicity comes into play to make the situation easy to remedy.

Simply forgiveness. Divine and supernatural forgiveness.

It makes sense really. Would you grab a knife and proceed to cut yourself in the same spot over and over? Letting the wound almost heal and then prising it open again only to have to watch and wait for it to try and heal again? No, of course you wouldn’t. Not forgiving someone, including you, is the exact same thing.

Pointless wounding of the spirit, that’s all it is. I am guilty of this, and not only by not forgiving others but by not forgiving myself. It was only last year that I realised by reading Liz Curtis Higgs’ book “Embrace Grace” that I was being ignorant of God and His greatness by not forgiving myself. I learnt that I don’t need to forgive myself as Jesus died on the cross for my forgiveness, but that I do have to forgive others.

Since reading this wisdom, I have left my ignorant thinking with Jesus at the foot of the cross, and I have forgiven those who have wronged me. And it has made such a difference in my life. I have, as I was told the other day, started to see life through Jesus’ eyes. I am starting to let the compassion I have for others help me to not only forgive others, but to share God’s love with people by just being the person God wants me to be. Someone who loves unconditionally cares and shows compassion...and most of all, forgives.

For more reading on this topic, please see my posts on forgiveness and also the source of the quotes on forgiveness above.


2 comments:

  1. I love this Paula, thank you for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand this concept of forgiveness. For some it takes quite some time to come to terms in forgiving, because that means letting go of the issue you're being unforgiving of and the person(s) involved. We tend to hold grudges because we also harbor bitterness and anger that lead to this unforgiving nature. We "must" forgive all our hurts to overcome our own hurts and find our joy. Praise the LORD!

    ReplyDelete