Thursday 5 March 2009

The Kettle Has Whistled...


Welcome to my contribution to the first Kettle Club discussion at Exemplify Online's Blog. February was a fairly tough month for me in terms of dealing with Jasmine's new found separation anxiety when going to school and after school care. It's an up and down saga, and aside from seeking advice from teachers, other parents and professionals, I must seek guidance from God more on how to deal with this situation. Be that as it may, here is what I have been doing in February as far as seeking God before my blog page, and the internet and any other distraction that comes my way.

Did you focus on a specific portion of Scripture this month (for example, the Psalms)? If so, share why you chose to focus on that specific portion.

No specific portion of the Scriptures were read over the last month.

If not, share a few key verses or areas you felt lead to read this month.

The first two verses came to me mid February after another heartbreaking school drop off.

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him." – Psalm 62:1

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon me and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

The next two verses are my Siesta Scripture Memory Team verses and a reminder that I must not be too concerned with the world and be troubled, and also to remember Jesus and what He endured for me.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the word gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." - John 14:27

“Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” – Hebrews 12:3

Are you following along with a specific devotional? If so, tell us a little about the devotional. Do you recommend it for your fellow Kettle Club ladies?


I am currently reading Every Day With Jesus by Selwyn Hughes (produced by
CWR) and it is about being Jesus’ apprentice. I’m only a few days into it, but am learning that He is my only leader. While it is important to listen to my pastors, my manager at work and leaders in government and so on, ultimately it is only Jesus who is my leader and whom I should follow.

Last month’s devotional book was titled “Purpose for Living” and one week was spent discussing caring for ourselves as Christians. Loving myself as my neighbour, building a proper self-image or self-concept, paying careful attention to my physical functioning, building into my daily schedule time when I can be alone, recognising my limitations, and not going beyond them, being gentle with myself whenever I fail or make a mistake and learning to receive love whenever it is offered to me. I desperately need to revisit these studies as the last couple of weeks with dealing with Jasmine and not being well have pushed me to limits I should not have gone to.

I do recommend this devotional, as Selwyn Hughes, the founder of CWR, is very thorough in his study of the Scriptures, and provides simple yet worthwhile lessons.

What is a stand out lesson you learned this month? What has the Lord been steadily teaching you?

To give all my worries to Him, to not try and solve everything at once, and to only concern myself with what is important (Yes to God Tuesday study post coming soon on this!). I have also learnt that I need to CALM DOWN and not get so stressed about things that are out of my control.

Did you find certain distractions kept popping up as you would sit down to meditate on God’s Word? How did you overcome them?

The laptop sitting on my bed with me, or next to my bed, is one such distraction, so I’ve moved it over to the other side of the room, closed the lid and muted the sound so when I am reading the Word or doing my daily devotional or study I can’t see or hear what is happening on it. It also means that my Bible is the closest thing, and thus first thing, I reach for when I wake in the morning. Another distraction is Jasmine, so I only ever read when she is occupied with something else or in bed. I also do study in my breaks at work, and do a lot of extended study on the weekends when she is staying with her father.

Do you find that when you place your time spent with the Lord before blogging life somehow seems…simpler? Or feels more balanced?

Yes, because I’ve been fed with His Word that give me direction and a feeling of peaceful satisfaction. His Word is a reminder that I am not to do life without Him.

What are some prayer time/Word focused goals you had for the month of February? What are your goals for the month of March? (For example, are you memorizing Scripture or committing to pray about a specific thing?)

Memorising Scripture through The Living Proof Ministry Blog. I’m also praying for a quiet and more loving nature when dealing with Jasmine.

How can you fellow Kettle Club members pray for you this month?

Wisdom and discernment when dealing with Jasmine’s reluctance to go to school and school aged care. Also pray for patience to better deal with her “change in attitude”. Pray for Jasmine that she can be a “brave bee” at school, and after school care, and not miss her mummy too much. And that she can feel relaxed around the other kids and adults.

Please pop over to the
Kettle Club post and see what the other members have been up to also.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining us! I agree with so much you've written here -- I move away from my computer too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scriptures you gave. Matthew 11:28-30 is one I've thought about lately and want to accurately memorize it and not just have it paraphrased. The peace one is a foundation one also.

    WHen I read the Psalm about finding rest in God alone, it made me think of this week's chapter from Jennifer's book...finding rest in God. God is rest and He is where we are to find rest and even that He really asks us to do it. Not just on Sabbath but daily.

    Love ya,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not heard of the Kettle Club, Paula. What a great community.

    I'm praying for your sweet Jasmine, that she will find reassurance, that God will comfort her and she will move through this season with ease!

    Sending love,
    laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, this was a very revealing and encouraging message. I commend your heart to want to do what is pleasing to the Lord especially with knowing when to put other things down including the computer so that you can spend time with HIM. In the end, isn't that what really matters? If we don't spend quality time in His presence throughout our day(s) then we'll feel dry and heavy burdened about most things.

    I am praying for Jasmine's heart to open to the peace and comfort of the Lord and for her to make lots of friends and to be at peace until she can see her Mommy after school. I'm also praying for you Paula. May you find love, strength, comfort and wisdom in the quiet moments with the LORD.

    Lovingly in Christ,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Neighbour! I will never cease to be awestruck by the content of your posts... you always glean so much from the Bible and the books you study, and bless us in the process... Thank you!

    I hope and pray that Jasmine is starting to feel more comfortable with school etc. Bless her sweet heart!

    Have a wonderful weekend. N x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I received your lovely email - thank you! I sent you a very brief one to see if you receive it - I have not had any luck sending emails to hotmail accounts for some odd reason... Let me know asap and I'll get back to you. Hope it does... And I love the idea of a get-together:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where are you, my friend? I have been down with a vicious bug and wanted to stop by to catch up. But I see you have had a little break too. I hope yours was for better reasons. Anyway, thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete